It is currently 21. Jul 2018, 23:21

Tracking licensing - one license for desktop + portable MS

Version v6.6.5 has been released in May 2016 - EOL since end of 2016!

Moderator: Moderator Team

• Author

Armand

Tracking licensing - one license for desktop + portable MS

Post18. Mar 2014, 12:18

Hi all,

first of all I am very pleased with the new Loginventory 6 software, it feels more mature. But, I have a question about the licensing. As you probably know you can use Microsoft Open License software for one user / device, but you then have the right to assign a license to a portable device for the same user. So:

User X has Office 2013 on his main workstation. He also has a dedicated laptop. I use 1 license from our open license to install on both devices. I know L6 has the new Licensing per User metric, but how can I manually assign assets to users? I know L6 tries to do it by itself, but we have the problem that multiple users sometimes do login on different machines (for example, someone loses his laptop -> then he logins on a workstation from someone who is on holiday. L6 then assigns that workstation to that user, but he just did login once!

So I really need to manually assign my assets to our (Active Directory) users. Is this do-able? Because otherwise I cannot use this handy new feature.

Thanks!

StefanS

Re: Tracking licensing - one license for desktop + portable

Post18. Mar 2014, 14:44

Hi Armand,

currently there is no such feature available in LOGINventory6 but we discuss to provide something like this in a later version. After that, the license management will able to use this.
mfg
StefanS

RolandL

Site Admin

Site Admin

Re: Tracking licensing - one license for desktop + portable

Post21. Mar 2014, 17:50

Remember, LOGINventory6 now reports the last known user of a PC or laptop and takes him for per user metrics.
As soon as another user logs on to that asset, (s)he will be used for the metrics. Please think about using the Logon-Script Method for all ordinary users - but not for administrators.
If a laptops has been lost - just use LOGINventory's "Archive" feature; it is designed to fulfill this case. The asset information will be kept in the database, but cannot be used in any metrics. And if the "Archived" laptop re-appears for LOGINquiry of LOGINfo, it will be automatically un-archived and be used within any metrics.
RolandL

Hello - IT! Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Next step: Check DNS.
http://www.loginventory.com

Return to LOGINventory6 English